What defines you? What makes you, you? James Clear, in his book Atomic Habits, presents strong evidence to the fact that your habits reveal who, in essence, you are. Your actions show how strongly you want something, and how much something means to you.
Over time, these habits become your identity. Habit formation (and getting rid of habits) is more about a process of becoming someone, rather than wanting something.
In comparison to Charles Duhig's book, The Power of Habits, this book is approachable and clear. I finished The Power of Habits wanting more - I got to all the science and the why's, but I didn't get the HOW. With Atomic Habits, you finish the book feeling like you have the capability to quit your bad habits and the systems and processes to start those new ones.
Today on the podcast, we dive into this fabulous book, exploring the 4 Laws of Habits (how to create them and how to get rid of them). We also discuss:
- Why tiny habits? Why not big sweeping change?
- Mastering the art of showing up
- How to prime your environment for success
- Motion vs. Action
- Shifting from a person who wants to a person who is
- How we incorporate this in our family and partnership
To start off 2019 with a bang, and to help you reach the goals you set for yourself this past New Year's, listen in for an actionable episode that will help you create a system for reaching those goals.
Want to read the book? You can get it here.
- Family HQ Guide — Email List Sign-Up — Half Better
- STREAKS. The to-do list that helps you form good habits. For iPhone.
- Use the Shortcuts app on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
- Atomic Habits: Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results by James Clear
- The One Habit That Stops Procrastination In Its Tracks
- My 2016 Integrity Report | James Clear
- Podcast: Why and How to Set SMARTER Goals — Half Better
- Podcast: High Performance Habits (Book Discussion) — Half Better
- Podcast: Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts - Becoming the Person You Want to Be (Book Discussion) — Half Better
- Is It Possible to Make Your Partner Change? — Half Better
- Matching Your Planner with your Personality with Megan Seeley — Half Better
- MINDSET: Are you fixed or growth oriented? — Half Better